I wanted to set up some posts to auto-publish while I’m gone so you guys won’t get bored! I was flicking through some older posts on some of my favorite blogs and I saw that Katrin had posted this list of things you have or haven’t done in life, so I thought I’d see how I tally up. I think 27 out of 99 isn’t too terrible, considering lots of the things involve Europe and I’ve never been there. :)
Started your own blog. Yes! You’re reading it now.
Slept under the stars. I’m going to count all those nights of tent camping in my teens.
3. Played in a band. Nope.
4. Visited Hawaii. Let’s see, giant island full of active volcanoes surrounded by miles of ocean…no thank you.
Watched a meteor shower. Not a really big shower per se but I’ve seen a few here and there.
Given more than you can afford to charity. I’m going to assume this means giving money when you really were too pinched to afford to give it–the answer is yes–but I think that karma comes back to you in the end.
7. Been to Disneyland. No, and I don’t want to go. Too many kids!
8. Climbed a mountain. I’ve hiked at altitude before but I haven’t been rock climbing.
Held a praying mantis. One crawled ONTO MY FACE. Have I ever mentioned how fearful I am of bugs?
10. Sang a solo. No! I get stage fright.
11. Bungee jumped. Not yet anyway.
12. Visited Paris. I’d like to someday.
Watched a lightening storm. Multiple times.
Taught yourself an art from scratch.I taught myself oil painting.
Had food poisoning. I would rather stab myself than deal with that again.
Grown your own vegetables. I grew some poor neglected beans once.
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France. Never been to France, period.
20. Slept on an overnight train. Never traveled via train.
Had a pillow fight. Who hasn’t?
Hitch hiked. Yes, when I was in the desert in Nevada and my car broke down, but a) I was with two other people so it wasn’t like I was alone and b) someone stopped to give us water, but no one would pick us up. I think we estimated that we walked about 14 miles to a town with a casino and a gas station where we bought water and waited for a tow truck to pull us about 200 miles to Winnemucca to have the car fixed. In case you haven’t yet figured it out–that whole trip was a cursed mistake.
Taken a sick day when you’re not ill. My family was coming to town so I took a sick day so I could sleep and see them.
Built a snow fort. Tons of times in my childhood!
25. Held a lamb. I so wish!
26. Gone skinny dipping. Nope! Too shy.
27. Run a marathon. I would probably die.
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice. No, and I can’t imagine ever doing it–I’m scared of water.
29. Seen a total eclipse. I think I’ve slept through several, to be honest!
Watched a sunrise or sunset. Uh, who hasn’t?
Hit a home run. I suppose–we used to play baseball a lot when I was a kid.
32. Been on a cruise. Dear goodness no–I saw The Poseidon Adventure when I was a kid, and that was quite enough.
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person. Not yet.
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors. Not yet.
35. Seen an Amish community. Nope.
36. Taught yourself a new language. I’m working on my German, I swear.
Had enough money to be truly satisfied. I think the answer is yes. I would like more, but I am satisfied with what I have now. We’re comfortable and can afford small splurges now and then so I feel satisfied.
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person. I think the person who wrote this is a European.
39. Gone rock climbing. No, just watching it in a movie makes my hands sweat. I’m scared of heights.
Seen Michelangelo’s David. In a picture! Ha, they didn’t specify, so I’m totally counting it.
41. Sung karaoke. No, despite the earnest endeavors of my friends.
Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt. It’s cool but there are lots of tourists there!
Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant. I’ve bought coffee for strangers so I’m going to count this one.
44. Visited Africa. Nope.
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight. If I have I don’t remember.
46. Been transported in an ambulance. No, the one time I went to the ER my husband took me in the car because I wouldn’t let him call an ambulance!
47. Had your portrait painted. No.
48. Gone deep sea fishing. No and I never will. Deep water + killing animals = just no.
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person. No.
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris. I’ve never been to Paris but I suppose if I do go this is a rite of passage that I’ll have to complete, fear of heights or no.
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling. I am scared to death of water.
Kissed in the rain. Yes.
Played in the mud. Who hasn’t?
54. Gone to a drive-in theater. Nope, they’re a dying thing here in America.
55. Been in a movie. Does a short film written, directed and filmed by my brother and myself count?
56. Visited the Great Wall of China. Someday.
57. Started a business. Maybe someday.
58. Taken a martial arts class. No, but I would like to take Krav Maga classes.
59. Visited Russia. No, I imagine it being cold there!
60. Served at a soup kitchen. No. I know, I’m terrible.
61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies. No, but I’ve eaten enough to offset the difference.
62. Gone whale watching. No, I dislike boats. But I have seen whales from the distant shore.
Got flowers for no reason. Many times!
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma. I’m sorry to say no, but just having blood drawn for a test makes me woozy!
65. Gone sky diving. Not yet!
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp. No.
67. Bounced a check. Proud to say no!
68. Flown in a helicopter. No, and I’m scared of the idea!
Saved a favorite childhood toy. All of my stuffed animals are still in storage at my parents’ house.
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial. Nope, never made it that far east.
71. Eaten Caviar. No, gross.
72. Pieced a quilt. No, I’m not that patient.
73. Stood in Times Square. Maybe someday.
74. Toured the Everglades. Nope, never been that far south.
75. Been fired from a job. Never!
76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London. Not yet.
Broken a bone. I broke my leg when I was a toddler.
78. Been a passenger on a motorcycle. As a kid, but that was driving slowly around the parking lot, so I don’t know that it really counts.
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person. Not yet!
80. Published a book. My dream!
81. Visited the Vatican. No.
82. Bought a brand new car. No, we’ve always bought used cars.
83. Walked in Jerusalem. No.
84. Had your picture in the newspaper. No, I’m so shy that I always duck the camera.
85. Kissed a stranger at midnight on New Year’s Eve. Sadly, no.
86. Visited the White House. No.
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating. God no. For this my in-laws think I’m weak in the head. They’re all very big on hunting and shooting.
88. Had chickenpox. No, actually, and I wound up being vaccinated in the end because I just couldn’t seem to catch it.
Saved someone’s life. I saved my two cats so I’m going to count them in, since my pets are part of my family.
90. Sat on a jury. I’ve always wiggled out of it!
91. Met someone famous. No.
92. Joined a book club. No.
93. Got a tattoo. Not yet!
94. Had a baby. No, thank goodness.
95. Seen the Alamo in person. No.
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake. No. Water, people! I’m scared of water!
97. Been involved in a law suit. Thank goodness no.
Owned a cell phone. Yes.
Been stung by a bee. Multiple times.