Happy Saturday everybody! Fisi recently asked if anyone had a review of the Victoria’s Secret fragrance mists, so I thought I’d share a quick review of the mists I received for my birthday! My wonderful hubby picked up six scents for me: Amber Romance, Aqua Kiss, Endless Love, Pure Seduction, Secret Charm, and Vanilla Lace.
The product: Victoria’s Secret fragrance mist, $12/8.4 oz. at Victoria’s Secret stores or through their website. 26 different scents available.
The claim: Refreshing formula is infused with conditioning aloe vera and calming chamomile. Spray on for a touch of scent.
Ingredients: (from the back of “Endless Love”) Alcohol Denat., water, fragrance, propylene glycol, glycerin, butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, PPG-25-Buteth-26, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil, chamomilla recutita flower extract, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, amyl cinnamal, benzyl alcohol,benzyl salicylate, butylphenyl methylporopional, citral, citronellol, limonene, geraniol, hexyl cinnamal, hydroxycitronellal, hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde, linalool, blue 1, red 33, ext. violet 2.
Ingredient notes: I’m not even going to try to go into a long explanation of the ingredients panel; long story short, like most mainstream fragrance mists, this is packed with potential irritants, harsh chemicals, and dyes. It’s stuff that most of use anyway without thinking, but I just like to point out that if you’re trying to stick to very “green” cosmetics or if you have allergies, these are not the sprays for you. That said, Victoria’s Secret does not test their products on animals and these sprays are made in the USA.
I tried them: The packaging looks nice sitting on a dresser (better than your average plastic mist bottle) and I feel like these bottles are perfectly sized: not so small that you use them up too quickly but not so big that you’ll be using the same scent for a year. They do smell a bit strongly of alcohol for the first few seconds after spritzing but I don’t really notice unless I put my nose right to my skin; after that the alcohol fades and the scent emerges.
All of the six fragrances I have here can be spritzed on (2-3 pumps on pulse points) for a lighter scent or applied more heavily if you want other people to notice the scent. I typically use several spritzes all over and a couple more on my arms and neck before work, and the smell is still lingering on at lunch time. If you like a stronger perfume smell you’ll probably want to spritz a little more on every couple of hours. Obviously, layering them over a similar body lotion will help the scent last longer.
- Amber Romance (amber & cream anglaise) is very close to Bath & Body Works Sensual Amber; it’s warm and rich, slightly more musky than spicy, and would be great for evenings or for autumn/winter wear. I would probably not wear this one to work, but for a date night instead.
- Aqua Kiss (sun-kissed freesia and daisy) is very light and fresh, a bit like a wildflower bouqet. This is one of my favorites and is definitely a spring/summer fragrance. Since it has a “cool” scent, it’s a nice one to spritz on in the heat of the day if you’ve been sweating a bit and are starting to need a fragrance refresher!
- Endless Love (apple blossom & ylang ylang) is slightly sweeter than most ylang ylang fragrances but not as sugary some of the other Victoria’s Secret florals; I find it relaxing, personally. This would work for day or night, depending on how intensely you apply it.
- Pure Seduction (red plum & freesia) is a very strong, romantic floral; it makes me think of a summer evening dinner date on the outdoor patio at a really nice Italian (or your fave) restaurant. I don’t think I would wear this one to work, personally. I have gotten compliments on this one!
- Secret Charm (honeysuckle & jasmine) has seen the most use thus far. This is another relaxing, sweet, light floral that can be worn day or night, depending on how much you spritz on.
- Vanilla Lace (vanilla & musk) is a very sweet vanilla with a touch of musk. It’s more of a cupcake vanilla scent that I would normally pick out for myself but it’s growing on me–it is very sweet and fun and would be good for a true “girly girl”.
My final thoughts: I really like these! I feel like they’re much nicer than your standard fragrance mist and the scents are fairly lasting without being so strong that they curl your nose, so they’re good for the workplace or any other time when you want to smell nice without wearing a “cloud” of fragrance. Plus, Victoria’s Secret currently has them on special–5 for $30–which makes them half price. So, you know, you’re getting a better value if you do a small haul… :D