For day five’s prompt, I finally took down our Christmas decorations. Yes, they were still up! We meant to take them down after New Year’s and then we just kept finding one excuse after another to put it off. But now that everything is down I feel like I have so much more space back…plus it was good to clean the house top to bottom! All that dust and those loose pine needles…yuck!
Now that the tree is gone, I put the stationary bike in the living room so I can read or watch TV while I ride. I want to get my legs back in biking shape before the warm weather hits, so I can ride up to the library for new books a couple of times a week!
Quote for the day (from the daily prompt e-mail): “Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.” — Pablo Picasso
I was too tired and stressed yesterday after a long night at work to post about the Kindness prompt for the day, so I’m lumping two days into one here.
Yesterday the prompt was to spend ten minutes in silence, reflecting or meditating or just getting away from the noise of life. I scrolled through my Pinterest “Wisdom to live by” quotes board for a much-needed boost.
Quote for the day (from the daily prompt e-mail): “If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind!” — Chuang Tzu
For today, the prompt was to clear out the ol’ inbox. I have to admit I’m pretty bad about letting mail and e-mail pile up, so I got a few notes ready for the mail. I still have a few more to send out, but it was a start.
Quote for the day (from the daily prompt e-mail): “In order to seek one’s own direction, one must simplify the mechanics of ordinary, everyday life.” — Plato
(photo by Ales Krivec via Unsplash)
#211: What is the most spontaneous thing you’ve ever done? Kissing a guy who I was pretty sure viewed me as just a pal. I guess it worked out…we’ll celebrate our fourth wedding anniversary this spring!
#212: What makes you uncomfortable? Crowds of people/meeting new people.
#213: If you had to move 3000 miles away, what one thing would you miss the most? My family! But if we’re talking material/non-human things, I would say my American library, since I imagine in another country I might not have ready access to free English-language books! And then what would I do?!
#214: What worries you about the future? This sounds so dumb and morose, but I worry that I’ll be one of those old ladies who loses her husband really young and then lives on alone for decades. I can’t stand the thought of being without him. He always tells me to stop worrying about the what-ifs and enjoy the now, and I guess he’s right, but it always lingers in the back of my mind. (I know, I’m weird and depressing!)
#215: What one ‘need’ and one ‘want’ will you strive to achieve in the next twelve months? My ‘need’ will be getting my exercise/diet routine firmly in place. My ‘want’ will be better organizing my blog, including regular posting on social media, more link-ups, etc. I really want to buckle down with blogging and put some serious time into it again after drifting away for the last few months!
#216: What life lessons did you have to experience firsthand before you fully understood them? Um, so many different ones! I think I’m one of those people who learns by doing, and that includes mistakes. I’m trying to get better at it, though.
#217: Do you like the city or town you live in? Why or why not? I guess it’s okay, but there isn’t a lot in the way of arts/culture/entertainment and there aren’t a lot of vegan-friendly restaurants.
Andrea from BeQuoted tagged me this week to answer ten questions, and I think she picked some pretty thought-provoking ones! Here are her ten questions, and my ten answers:
- Who should be the first female president of the United States? Keep in mind that this woman needn’t have a political career. I absolutely can’t recommend a political lady, since (and I’m ashamed to admit it) I don’t do a great job of keeping up on politics. I’d like to see a vibrant, strong young woman like Emma Watson or Zoe Saldana run for a political career though. I could see them rocking it!
- What’s your favorite quote? I have too many to list here, but I do love, “If you want to be happy, be.” (Leo Tolstoy) It’s a reminder to live in the moment.
- What has been one of the biggest sacrifices you’ve made? I can’t think of a lot of sacrifices I’ve had to make in life, and any that have seemed like a big deal at the time seem like #firstworldproblems when viewed in hindsight.
- What’s one of your favorite books – fiction or non-fiction? I adored Marisha Pessl’s Night Film.
- Who’s your favorite “side-chick”: Mary Jane Paul of the series Being Mary Jane or Olivia Pope of super series Scandal? Oh, Olivia. Her flawless wardrobe just slays me. And also, hello, she’s played by the impeccably gorgeous (and talented, and smart) Kerry Washington. I want to be BFFs with her so I can raid her closet while she imparts her worldly wisdom to me!
- Would you rather travel by train, plane, or boat? I’m scared to fly and also of water, but I’ve always wanted to take a train ride somewhere. I think it would be a novel experience, though maybe the glamour of films like The Tourist and North By Northwest is tainting my answer a bit.
- Which is more endearing, a kiss or hug? I would say a hug. Strangely enough I think it’s more intimate.
- Your favorite comfort food? Carbs! Right now I’m really craving some vegan pad thai!!!!
- Which came first, the chicken or the egg? The chicken. It had to lay the egg, right? Wait…
- If you were forced to enter a talent show what would be your talent? Stand-up comedy–I love making people laugh!
I guess this is the part where I have to come up with ten questions for y’all, right? I’m tagging anyone who wants to answer them–just leave me a comment so I can find your blog and check our your post. I thought of a lot of “would you rather”s and I’m curious to see what anyone has to say…
- Would you rather have a year of summer or a year of winter?
- Would you rather become immortal, but be the only person with this condition; or live a short life and die after only fifty years?
- Would you rather be rich, pretty and famous for a day or the lower-class, plain-Jane friend of a famous person for a year?
- Would you rather lose your sight, hearing, taste, or sense of smell?
- Would you rather read the book first or watch the movie/TV show?
- Would you rather give an improvised speech live on television or walk around work with bad panty lines all day?
- Would you rather give up your favorite food for a whole year in exchange for a cash sum, or skip the money and pig out?
- Would you rather have a month of terrible days (think your worst day ever on repeat) or slip into a coma for a month and miss out on an amazing, once-in-a-lifetime experience?
- Would you rather spend the rest of your life in your home country, or spend the rest of your life traveling anywhere you wanted (but never being able to return home)?
- Would you rather have a personal hairstylist give you a flawless ‘do every day for a year, or win an all-you-can-grab-in-an-hour shopping spree at your favorite store?
You know what to do…get posting! You can also tag me on Twitter so I can read your post.