I started flipping through images for a “best-of” Golden Globes fashion post and realized…I liked almost NOTHING that hit the red carpet Sunday night. NOTHING! Emma Stone killed it, as usual, and there were a few other honorable mentions, but for the most part I just disliked everything I saw. Maybe it was me…maybe it was the designers…who knows!
Anyway, in the end, I had a handful of best-dressed ladies to point out, a bunch of “almost” looks, and a few “heck, no”s. This is going to get long, so I’ll cut if off and let you click to continue reading!
Let’s start with the best…
Emma Stone in Lanvin: Good God, Emma knows how to rock pants on the red carpet. And her hair! It makes me want to run to the salon for a chop.
Julia Louis-Dreyfus in Narciso Rodriguez: Simple and elegant. She always looks so classy and stylish on the red carpet, without looking too trendy.
Dakota Johnson in Chanel Couture: Man, get a load of those sequins! She really looked perfect for a big, glitzy awards show.
Jessica Chastain in Atelier Versace: I feel like she really brought the glam in this dress, which fit her perfectly.
Reese Witherspoon in Calvin Klein: This was pretty simple, but it looked perfect with her skin tone and blonde hair.
Jenna Dewan-Tatum in Carolina Herrerra: Yellow gowns can be tricky to wear but I thought this lemon hue was so pretty on her.
Lupita Nyong’o in Giambattista Valli Couture: I’m usually not a fan of big florals, but this is so gorgeous on her!
Anna Kendrick in Monique Lhuillier: Her gown was so pretty. I can’t decide if I would have preferred to see softer hair but honestly, doesn’t she look like a porcelain doll here?
These ladies came close…
I love that Lorde tried out a pantsuit with a cropped top, but her pants were too baggy. A little tailoring would have made this a winner! I also really wish she would quit slouching. (In custom Narciso Rodriquez)
Amy Adams‘ Versace gown fit her perfectly, but the color was a little flat. I would have loved to see this in a punchy shade like canary yellow or cobalt.
I think Amy Poehler was on the right track with a long-sleeved gown in bright blue, but that weird midsection situation made me think of stretch-waist pants. (In Stella McCartney)
Kate Beckinsale is so pretty, but her Elie Saab gown seemed to be pinching up top and was too blah on the bottom. I’m also not really a fan of her hair or her clutch.
Amal Alamuddin Clooney made her red-carpet debut with hubby George. Maybe with her hair elegantly coiffed this look would have worked. Or if she’d kept the hair but lost the gloves. I didn’t like the white clutch, either. I felt like she was dressed for the opera, not the red carpet. (In Christian Dior Haute Couture)
Salma Hayek had a great start with her Alexander McQueen gown, but the hair and accessories made her look like she was going to prom.
I didn’t care for Camilla Alves‘ helmet hair, but her Monique Lhuillier gown was interesting and architectural, yet simple.
Katie Holmes‘ Marchesa gown was to die for, if wrinkled. But the hair extensions need to go.
I can’t decide how I feel about Allison Williams–she has a bit of a Grace Kelly vibe here, but I’m not 100% sold on the Armani Prive dress. Maybe with slightly different hair and makeup, I’d really love it.
I love it when Viola Davis wears bright colors, but the detailing on the bodice combined with the fabric and cut felt a little “prom” to me. (In Donna Karan Atelier)
I really liked the color of Chrissy Teigen‘s Zuhair Murad gown, and her hair and makeup complemented it perfectly, but there’s something weird going on in the, er, crotchal area that keeps drawing my eye. I think the sheer paneling was a mistake.
And now, let’s talk about some of the worst…
- Boobage: What was going on with Rosamund Pike‘s dress? The necklines on Emily Blunt and Taylor Schilling were odd too, and Heidi Klum‘s dress seemed too small up top. Meanwhile, Sienna Miller and Kate Hudson wore necklines that plunged way too low to look good.
- Stiff, shiny fabrics: I’m looking at you, Tina Fey…and Lena Dunham…and Zosia Mamet…and Felicity Jones…and Juliana Margulies…heck, who didn’t make this fashion faux pas? Even Diane Kruger and Kerry Washington looked uncomfortable, and they normally can do no wrong in my style book!
- Odd boho details: There’s a time and a place for fringe or butterflies, but it’s probably not on the red carpet. See: Claire Danes, Keira Knightley.
- Exposed gowns: Jennifer Lopez just looked tacky. And Jennifer Aniston‘s slit looked like a last-minute decision–it didn’t fit well with the dress. Same with Robin Wright‘s sheer skirt.
- Prom dresses from another era: Kristen Wiig and Lana Del Rey showed up looking really retro, and not in a good way.
- I don’t even know what: Melissa McCarthy. I don’t even know what she was wearing, but it wasn’t good!
I know I didn’t cover everyone that attended, and maybe I missed a dress that you thought was really great (or really bad!). If so, leave me a comment and tell me about it!