I think this is my favorite time of the year. The autumn colors are gorgeous and I get to wear all of my favorite things: boots, cozy scarves, and lots of layers. It’s been a bit rainy here but I did get outside to take these quick OOTD pics. I’m loving my new boot socks and wear them everyday!
(T-shirt, sweater: Target; jeans: Walmart; jacket: Wet Seal; boots, boot socks: Payless; scarf: Kizuri; earrings: Pier 1)
Happy November everyone! It seems like October really flew by, and now it’s already time to start planning for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
This time of the year, everyone is talking about “the holiday spirit” and tossing around words like “thankfulness” and “joy”—but how much are we really focusing on those attitudes on a daily basis? And why is it so hard for us to focus on gratitude and maintaining a positive attitude once Thanksgiving is past? I know I personally have a tendency to zero in on tiny little things that irritate or upset me and then stew over them endlessly. And yet, when you focus on the positive, you’re bound to be happier (it’s science, people!). People who are more grateful also tend to feel better physically and have better relationships with those around them. Who doesn’t want that?
It also seems like this time of year highlights a sharp contrast between the “haves” and “have-nots”, and I don’t just mean the people who are well-to-do financially and those who are poorer or even homeless. A lot of people spend the holidays without the love of friends and family, or face a long gloomy winter that highlights mental or physical health problems. I know I have a TON to be grateful for in my everyday life—a warm home, a loving family, shelves full of books to read—and even though I see almost daily reminders of people who are hungry, hurting, or friendless, it’s so easy to start taking all of those blessings for granted.
So this month, I’m kicking off a gratitude challenge on Instagram. Each day I’ll post something I’m grateful for that day with the hashtag #gratefullifeNov. I’d love it if any of you want to follow along! If you don’t have Insta, you could do this on Twitter or Facebook, too. There is no daily prompt, just snap a pic of something you’re thankful for and share the story behind it. (Maybe it’s a mug of hot tea on a rainy day or a surprise card in the mail—it could be anything!) And be sure to tag me so I can see all your posts!
I think taking note of all the little things I have to be grateful for will make me happier overall, and if you join in I hope it will help you have a happier November as well. <3
(Disclosure: post contains affiliate links.)
1. Snuggle Sampling Sweater, $54.99, Modcloth
2. Braided Felt Panama Hat in Burgundy, $19.95, Vanity
3. Stone and Feather Earrings by Lacy Ryan, $14, Maurice’s
4. YA Los Angeles Faux Suede Skater Skirt in Olive, $29, Glik’s
5. Cargo Pants, $39.99, H&M
6. Wrapped Attention Ankle Boots in Taupe, $43, Lulu’s
Like many people these days, and especially with the husband going back to school, we’re trying to stretch our budget a little further each month. One of the areas we’ve really cut back is eating out/delivery–takeaway Thai, pizzas, lunch out while running errands. Not necessarily the most fun or easy, but I’m learning that there are lots of little ways to recreate our favorite restaurant items at home, or dress up simple meals so they feel a little more “luxe” on the weekend.
One lunch meal that’s easy to recreate is a soup and sandwich combo. Condensed canned soup isn’t exactly the most appealing thing, but I’ve found you can easily dress up a basic tin instead of spending a lot of money on a fancy packaged soup. The same goes for your sandwich–a few mix-ins make all the difference between a basic lunch and one that feels like a takeaway from your favorite cafe.
Happy October everyone! Amy from Small Budget Beauty tagged me to do the I Love Fall Tag, so of course I had to hop in (you guys know how much I love fall!). So here are the ten questions and my answers! I tag any of you who want to do this; if you’ve done this tag leave me a comment with your blog link so I can go see your answers. :)
1. Favorite Fall lip product?
Dark, vampy lip shades! I feel like October is the one time of the year when you can wear really vampy makeup and get away with it.
2. Favorite Fall nail polish?
Anything vampy! Dark burgundies and blackberries are my fave.
3. Favorite Fall Starbucks drink?
I used to really love the pumpkin spice lattes, but I guess those aren’t vegan (boohoo). I really don’t get into Starbucks that much anymore anyway–they’re expensive and crowded!
4. Favorite Fall candle?
Just about anything from Bath and Body Works. The spiced cider candles are awesome! They make the house smell so cozy and warm.
5. Favorite Fall clothing item or accessory?
Scarves and boots! I live for boot weather.
6. Haunted house, haunted hay ride, or haunted corn maze?
I went to a haunted corn maze once and it wasn’t that big of a deal. But honestly, I’m not big on intentionally scaring myself. I’d rather look at those haunted house reaction shots on the interwebz and try to guess what they’re looking at.
7. Favorite Halloween movie?I’m not big on Halloween movies either. I went through this phase when I was younger where I was convinced I couldn’t find a horror movie scary enough to truly scare me, so I watched a ton with no effect. Then someone said if I hadn’t found a winner yet I should watch Paranormal Activity and holy crap, I wish I hadn’t. That movie has left me jittery to this day. On the other hand, I can watch zombie movies all night with no ill effects. I guess different things scare different people.8. Favorite candy to eat on Halloween?Chocolate and candy corn! Homemade vegan Reeses Cups are the best. 9. What are you dressing up as for Halloween?I need to find out if we’ll be allowed to dress up at work. If so, I’ll be putting together some sort of steampunk outfit. But I haven’t given it much thought. If I do dress up I’ll definitely post pictures on the blog.
10. What is your favorite thing about Fall?Everything! The way the air smells, the look of changing leaves, hot cocoa, the fall fashion…fall is definitely my favorite season.
Don’t ask me why I’m on such a Fair Isle bender lately–it’s just been front and center in my fashion viewfinder! I love these cute slipper boots–they’re a slightly more stylish alternative to Uggs, and they look so cozy!
While you’re shopping Famous Footwear, don’t forget: they’re offering 20% off your entire purchase now through November 10. Use code “Winter20” at checkout or go to their website to print the coupon for in-store use!
|Muk Luks Jaci Desert Fairisle, $37.99, Famousfootwear.com (web exclusive)
It’s Thursday, which means it must be time for…
This week’s topic:
Well, I actually just wrote a post about my favorite fall things yesterday! But I certainly don’t mind revisiting the subject of autumn and favorite things. I have so many.
I love the food: pies, hearty soups, hot chocolate, fresh cookies.
I love the clothes: boots, corduroy jeans, cozy sweaters, cute hats, comfy jackets, scarves galore.
I love the sights and smells; the way the leaves change color, the way the wind smells different. I love the way leaves crunch underfoot.
I love that it’s not too hot and not too cold.
I love that the weather is the perfect excuse I need to spend my free time snuggling under a fluffy blanket with a cup of tea and a good book.
I love apple everything: pie, cider, donuts, applesauce, or just fresh orchard apples.
What do you love about fall?