Like many people these days, and especially with the husband going back to school, we’re trying to stretch our budget a little further each month. One of the areas we’ve really cut back is eating out/delivery–takeaway Thai, pizzas, lunch out while running errands. Not necessarily the most fun or easy, but I’m learning that there are lots of little ways to recreate our favorite restaurant items at home, or dress up simple meals so they feel a little more “luxe” on the weekend.
One lunch meal that’s easy to recreate is a soup and sandwich combo. Condensed canned soup isn’t exactly the most appealing thing, but I’ve found you can easily dress up a basic tin instead of spending a lot of money on a fancy packaged soup. The same goes for your sandwich–a few mix-ins make all the difference between a basic lunch and one that feels like a takeaway from your favorite cafe.
Happy October everyone! Amy from Small Budget Beauty tagged me to do the I Love Fall Tag, so of course I had to hop in (you guys know how much I love fall!). So here are the ten questions and my answers! I tag any of you who want to do this; if you’ve done this tag leave me a comment with your blog link so I can go see your answers. :)
1. Favorite Fall lip product?
Dark, vampy lip shades! I feel like October is the one time of the year when you can wear really vampy makeup and get away with it.
2. Favorite Fall nail polish?
Anything vampy! Dark burgundies and blackberries are my fave.
3. Favorite Fall Starbucks drink?
I used to really love the pumpkin spice lattes, but I guess those aren’t vegan (boohoo). I really don’t get into Starbucks that much anymore anyway–they’re expensive and crowded!
4. Favorite Fall candle?
Just about anything from Bath and Body Works. The spiced cider candles are awesome! They make the house smell so cozy and warm.
5. Favorite Fall clothing item or accessory?
Scarves and boots! I live for boot weather.
6. Haunted house, haunted hay ride, or haunted corn maze?
I went to a haunted corn maze once and it wasn’t that big of a deal. But honestly, I’m not big on intentionally scaring myself. I’d rather look at those haunted house reaction shots on the interwebz and try to guess what they’re looking at.
7. Favorite Halloween movie?I’m not big on Halloween movies either. I went through this phase when I was younger where I was convinced I couldn’t find a horror movie scary enough to truly scare me, so I watched a ton with no effect. Then someone said if I hadn’t found a winner yet I should watch Paranormal Activity and holy crap, I wish I hadn’t. That movie has left me jittery to this day. On the other hand, I can watch zombie movies all night with no ill effects. I guess different things scare different people.8. Favorite candy to eat on Halloween?Chocolate and candy corn! Homemade vegan Reeses Cups are the best. 9. What are you dressing up as for Halloween?I need to find out if we’ll be allowed to dress up at work. If so, I’ll be putting together some sort of steampunk outfit. But I haven’t given it much thought. If I do dress up I’ll definitely post pictures on the blog.
10. What is your favorite thing about Fall?Everything! The way the air smells, the look of changing leaves, hot cocoa, the fall fashion…fall is definitely my favorite season.
Don’t ask me why I’m on such a Fair Isle bender lately–it’s just been front and center in my fashion viewfinder! I love these cute slipper boots–they’re a slightly more stylish alternative to Uggs, and they look so cozy!
While you’re shopping Famous Footwear, don’t forget: they’re offering 20% off your entire purchase now through November 10. Use code “Winter20” at checkout or go to their website to print the coupon for in-store use!
|Muk Luks Jaci Desert Fairisle, $37.99, Famousfootwear.com (web exclusive)
It’s Thursday, which means it must be time for…
This week’s topic:
Well, I actually just wrote a post about my favorite fall things yesterday! But I certainly don’t mind revisiting the subject of autumn and favorite things. I have so many.
I love the food: pies, hearty soups, hot chocolate, fresh cookies.
I love the clothes: boots, corduroy jeans, cozy sweaters, cute hats, comfy jackets, scarves galore.
I love the sights and smells; the way the leaves change color, the way the wind smells different. I love the way leaves crunch underfoot.
I love that it’s not too hot and not too cold.
I love that the weather is the perfect excuse I need to spend my free time snuggling under a fluffy blanket with a cup of tea and a good book.
I love apple everything: pie, cider, donuts, applesauce, or just fresh orchard apples.
What do you love about fall?