Some clothes seem meant strictly for one season: bikinis, sweaters, so on and so forth. But autumn is that rare magical season when you can take pieces from summer–like shorts–and pieces from your new fall/winter wardrobe–like boots–and blend them together for a totally trendy, hip, rock-chic look. Here’s how to nail the look:
1. Stick with short boots. Ankle boots, low cowgirl boots, short moto boots, even wedge booties–all work great with this trend. Avoid knee-high (or, gasp, thigh-high) versions unless you want to be mistaken for an extra on the set of a Pretty Woman remake.
2. Stick to regular, thigh-length shorts. Hot pants are for Hollywood celebs only, and bermudas are too long and look awkward.
3. Pull it all together. Go a little bit rock-n-roll with a vintage-y tee, moto boots, and aviators. Wear ankle booties with dressy shorts, a silky tank, and some cool jewelry. The point is, own the look: don’t let people mistakenly assume you just couldn’t find your flip-flops at the last minute.
Here are a couple of lookbook sheets to get you started:
1. Sleeveless Doors Tee, $15.80, Forever 21
2. Destroyed Cuffed Denim Shorts, $22.80, Forever 21
3. Leatherette Biker Boot, $29.90, Wet Seal
4. Stackable Link Ring Set, $6, Charlotte Russe
5. Rhinestone Spike Bracelets, $12.80, Vanity
6. Merona Sunglasses, $16.99, Target
1. V-Neck Long Sleeve Tunic Top, $12.80, Vanity
2. Floral Print Cutoffs, $19.80, Forever 21
3. Sueded Slip-On Western Bootie, $26.50, Charlotte Russe
4. Ditsy Floral and Lace Scarf, $18, Maurice’s
5. Classic 7 Charm Bracelet, $7.50, Wet Seal