I skipped the Oscars Sunday night (too tired), but I was really eager to see all of the gorgeous dresses come Monday morning. I eagerly turned on my computer and started flipping through slideshows of the red carpet, waiting for the slew of really jaw-dropping gowns that I knew just had to be hiding in there somewhere.
I’m still looking for them.
Truthfully, this year’s Oscar fashions sucked. I wasn’t feeling the plethora of nude gowns–they made most of the actresses look really washed out, and after a while they all just blended together. Also blah were the capes (Jada Pinkett Smith, Camilla Alves). And as much as I wanted to love the dresses on Elsa Pataky (aka Mrs. Thor) and Olivia Wilde, they both looked insanely uncomfortable–not to mention there was something weird going on in the boob area on both dresses.
Other offenders: Anna Kendrick and Ireland Baldwin seemed to be wearing dresses that didn’t know what they wanted to be. So many were just boring, like Meryl Streep and Emma Watson. And some were just harsh on the eyes: Gabourey Sidibe and Chirssy Teigen both looked like they were wearing prom cast-offs, not red carpet gowns.
With all of that said, I did see a few winners, so I thought I’d share them here!! Read more (and see pics) after the jump! And don’t forget to swing by Alyssa’s blog to link up for Ten on Tuesday!
1. Lupita Nyong’o in Prada. Of course I knew she’d knock it out of the park!
2. Sandra Bullock in Alexander McQueen. She looks so youthful yet classy and elegant.
3. Jenna Dewan-Tatum in Reem Acra. She had the best out of all the nude gowns on the carpet.
4. Angelina Jolie in Elie Saab Haute Couture. Second-best nude gown. For some reason people really disliked this one, though.
5. Olga Kurylenko in Alice Elia from Red Carpet Green Dress. Her dress is eco-friendly!
6. Rachel Smith in Sherry Hill. She’s a beauty queen and TV personality, not an actress, so she didn’t show up in a lot of the slideshows I browsed. But she definitely had the best black gown on the carpet. (I wanted to like Charlize Theron’s number, but the strap/boob situation was weirding me out!)
7. Kerry Washington in Jason Wu. I was kind of torn on this dress, but it’s Kerry, and she would look good in a trash bag, so…yeah. She just looks so glowy and happy, even for being pregnant on the red carpet!
8. Viola Davis in Escada. Love the green, and love the hair.
9. Sari Mercer in Suzanne Neville. Isn’t it kind of bad when a nominee’s girlfriend is more pulled-together than the majority of the celebrities on the red carpet? Doesn’t that mean all those high-paid stylists are really dropping the ball? (That’s 12 Years A Slave nominee Chiwetel Ejiofor in the tux.)
10. Jared Leto in Saint Laurent. Surprise, a dude! I liked that he didn’t go with the traditional tux. He truly looks like a rock star.
So who were your best-dressed ladies (and gents) of the night? Tell me in the comments!