Today I’m over on Celeste’s blog chatting with her and my friend Katrin from Land of Candy Canes about our vegan journeys! Lots of people are full of questions about the “why” and “how” of making the leap from a regular diet to a vegetarian/vegan one, so if you’re interested in our stories, I’d love it if you checked out Celeste’s post (here). She did a great job putting together the questions for this post!
|(Super-cute Valentine’s DIY from Amanda’s blog! Find it here.)|
Today I have an easy, healthy and tasty recipe to share with you: kale, quinoa and sweet potato soup. This dish requires only four ingredients, freezes easily, and is not only vegan but also free of soy and gluten. The combo of ingredients stuffs a ton of protein, fiber, iron and other vitamins & minerals into a fairly low-cal package, making it a great healthy option for “diet” days or anytime you need to get the maximum nutrients possible from your meal.
- Three quarts vegetable stock (about twelve cups)
- Several cups washed chopped kale
- Five or six large sweet potatoes
- Cooked quinoa–I cook a 26-oz. package of Bob’s Red Mill Organic Quinoa, which yields about twelve cups
Peel and chop up the sweet potatoes and add them to the vegetable stock. Cook over medium high heat until potatoes are nearly tender; add kale and cook an additional ten minutes. Dish quinoa into bowls and ladle soup over the top; add salt & pepper or other seasonings to taste.
Obviously this makes a LOT of soup. If you’re cooking for one or don’t plan on freezing any of the soup for a later date, then you might want to halve this recipe to avoid soup burnout. I prefer to store the soup and quinoa in separate containers in the fridge so the quinoa won’t soak up all of the broth overnight, but if you’re ladling this into single-serve Ziploc containers to freeze for later then I wouldn’t worry about separate storage.
So now you know what I’m eating this week! Do you have a healthy dinner recipe to share with me? (Don’t forget, you still have time to add your healthy recipes to the January Recipe Writers link-up!)
I should probably list something healthy, right? Since I’m on this New Year’s health kick? But don’t worry, I won’t be that person. While I do love snacking on oranges and apples with peanut butter, I have plenty of perfectly unhealthy snacks to share with you, including but not limited to…
- Chocolate. In just about any form–in a pinch chocolate almond milk will do.
- Ice cream. The coconut milk kind is the best.
- Chips and dip. I rarely buy chips because I have trouble sticking to the serving size.
- Root beer. I’m not a soda person per se and almost never drink any, but I could guzzle this by the two-liter bottle.
- Strawberry lemonade. Which is weird, because I’m not big on regular lemonade.
- Tapioca pudding.
- Homemade chocolate chip cookies.
- Bagels with vegan cream cheese. Another thing I try to buy very rarely, so I won’t overindulge.
What are your favorite snack foods?