Ooh, goal-setting time! I’m going to be honest: New Year’s is probably my favorite holiday of the whole year. I love that ritual of starting fresh, the feeling that you have a clean slate and can accomplish anything you set your mind to. Of course I have a whole separate list of goals and resolutions for the new year, but for this post I’ll focus specifically on my book-related goals.
1. Finish some of the series I’ve started. I think at last count I had about a dozen in progress (cringe). I really, really need to finish some of these before starting any new ones.
2. Read daily. I do try. But sometimes I watch TV instead, or I waste time on the internet, and other days I’m just busy with life. It’s not that those are bad things, per se, but I’d like to get in a habit of reading a book every single day, even if it’s just a few pages–it makes me happy when life is chaotic and stressful, and it’s much better than scrolling through Pinterest for an hour.
3. Read a few classics. I’ve ignored this genre lately, but I have a few on my shelf I’d like to tackle.
4. Read more nonfiction. I rarely read nonfiction. But I’d like to try reading at least one nonfiction title each month.
5. Start reviewing books on my YouTube channel. This is something I’ve thought about for a while, and I’m going to start doing it in 2015! I want to do short reviews, maybe two or three minutes tops, on some of the books I read each week. I might not film a video for every book I read, but I’d like to do several each month.
6. Work through my owned TBR shelf. I have a huge TBR shelf on Goodreads, obviously. But I’ve been accumulating books on the physical bookshelf in my living room all year, and I haven’t read any of them because I keep loading up on titles from the library. Which is fine…but a) I have some really good titles on there waiting to be read, and b) we’re running out of shelf space, which means it’s time for a cull. So once I’m done with my current library batch, I’m going to start digging through my owned pile.
7. Blog about books on a regular basis. I’ve even been neglecting my monthly roundups–for shame. It’s time to get back in the habit.
8. Be more active in the book blogging world. I have a few things I’m working on now, including my YouTube project. Connecting with other book bloggers gives me new titles for my TBR list and exposes me to books I might not otherwise hear about or be inclined to pick up.
9. Get my bookshelf organized. It’s a mess.
10. Read more, period. Books, magazines, blogs about books and magazines–I just need to read more, period!
What are your bookish goals (or goals in general) for the new year? Share them with me in the comments!
That’s so exciting about the reviews on youtube! I cannot wait to watch them, Martha! Yay! I am planning to read every single day as well. It makes me happy so I need to make time for it, no matter how busy I am. I also want to read more non-fiction!
Yeah, I’ve been wanting to do it for a while and I figure the new year is the perfect time to start!
You have a youtube channel? Oh I can’t wait to check that out!
Yeah, I haven’t posted anything in about a year! I need to get back to posting again!
Ah I really need to start reading more classics also. I did English lit in Uni so after four years of being told to read classics I think I needed a break from them ha
P.s. I saw the cruelty free brands section on your blog and that you are vegan so I had to follow. I am not vegan but I am a strict Vegetarian for the past 14 years now!:)
I can see how that might want to make you take a break for a while! Aw, that’s awesome that you’ve been veggie for so long! I’ve only been a vegan for a couple of years now. But I can’t imagine ever going back! :)
Katherine @ I Wish I Lived in a Library
Love your goals and how exciting about the YouTube reviews! That sounds like a lot of fun. I need to do some massive reorganization as well and definitely to read more books I already own. It’s becoming a problem!
Thanks! Isn’t it crazy how quickly we get disorganized?
Maggie @ macarons & paperbacks
Since Classics are my favorite genre, I’m always thrilled to see other people wanting to read them more! Hope you find some good ones to enjoy :)
I hope so too! Right now I’m trying to read ‘The Picture of Dorian Grey’.
I like those book goals, some of them I would do since I don’t seem to reading much and like you, I have a large, unread as in I didn’t even look at the first page, books pile up, I keep telling myself I would read them but I don’t think I will.
I don’t like to set goals so, no book or general goals for me. I’ll just do whatever comes about, although I really, really want to finish a few novels but I doubt that’s happening any time soon.
I wish you a blissful 2015. happy new year!
I don’t think it’s a terrible thing to not set tons of goals, especially since half the time we don’t keep them anyway! :-P I hope you have a great 2015!
Cait @ Paper Fury
These are excellent goals! LOVE. I never ever watched tv shows until this year and then I discovered them and…well, quite addictive. ;-) So I want to get back to reading more! I mean, it’s all stories, right? But I think reading is better for the brain for sure. XD hehe.
Agreed! They may all be stories, but the books are better for you, for sure.
I need to stop reading so many books at one time! It really slows me down. This year I should really focus on one at a time.
I make that mistake too!